APFA, AFA, AA Negotiations Protocol Agreement (NPA)
January 29, 2014
As we announced on Saturday, APFA, AFA and AA have reached an Agreement on the protocol for negotiating our Joint Collective Bargaining Agreement (JCBA). Below are some highlights of the Agreement. To read the Negotiations Protocol Agreement in its entirety, click here. To view highlights of the AFA/APFA Agreement on Bargaining and Representation reached on December 18, 2013, click here.
- The Negotiations Protocol Agreement (NPA) is the Agreement reached by the Company, APFA and AFA last week about negotiating our Joint Collective Bargaining Agreement (JCBA).
- Pre-merger US Airways Flight Attendants voting on the NPA will conclude on February 28, 2014, at noon Eastern.
- Negotiations between the parties for a JCBA will commence no later than 60 days after the NPA and the earlier APFA-AFA Agreement on Bargaining and Representation (reached in December 2013) are ratified by the pre-merger US Airways Flight Attendants.
- Parties shall agree to negotiations dates, which shall include an average of 10 days per month of actual negotiations. This can be adjusted per agreement of all parties.
- Negotiations shall continue for no more than 150 days from commencement of negotiations unless all parties agree otherwise.
- The parties will use “Adopt and Go” method for reaching a T/A. In negotiating a JCBA, whenever possible, a section of the contract will be lifted in its entirety from either the AA-APFA CBA or the AFA-US Airways CBA rather than mixing and matching paragraphs from both contracts. For example, the parties could decide to “adopt and go” “HOSTAGE PAY” as it appears in one contract.
- The parties will use mediation to reach a T/A.
- Once a T/A is reached, it will be put to a ratification vote of the combined Flight Attendant work groups at the new American.
- If the T/A is not ratified, or if no T/A has been reached, any outstanding disputes will be submitted to a final and binding interest arbitration. Arbitration will begin no later than 90 days of the submission. Prior to the arbitration, parties shall utilize mediation.
- If there is an arbitration, the resulting JCBA shall have a total economic value that: A) is equal to “market-based in the aggregate,” and B) as applied to pre-merger American Flight Attendants, has a total economic value which is greater than the total economic value of the American Airlines CLA as applied to pre-merger American Flight Attendants; and C) as applied to pre-merger US Airways Flight Attendants, has a total economic value which is greater than the total economic value of the US Airways CBA as applied to pre-merger US Airways Flight Attendants.
AmericanAirlines + US Airways
“On Our Way”
APFA National Communications Coordinator