Thursday, January 19, 2017
- Wage Arbitration Hearing
- LUS Optimizer Meeting
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Washington, D.C. Road Closures and Metro Update
Wage Arbitration Hearing
During the Wage Arbitration held in Washington January 5-7, 2017, compelling testimony was heard. I would like to thank not only the witnesses that spoke on behalf on APFA’s position, but also those Flight Attendants that joined APFA Leadership in the gallery to lend their support. Some of these Flight Attendants were even on a day off or in between trips. It is important to understand the importance of this hearing and how it will affect us all. Look for upcoming APFA Hotlines as this progresses to the final stages.
LUS Optimizer Meeting
After many months and two earlier trips to DFW, your LUS Officers were finally able to oversee an LUS Optimizer run with the Crew Planning Team. Similar to the monthly Allocations calls, we base the data on your feedback, as each base has specific requests and needs.
For example, DCA has expressed a desire for 1 & 2-day Pairings, ODANs, Shuttle, IAD Trips, and less 8+ hours block days; although not everyone may agree. I have also approached the Company for a return of BWI flying. However, the Company has stated not until FOI.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Why does LAA have a designated phone desk to handle Hotel and Transportation Issues and LUS does not?
Good question. There are many issues that stem from Systems Scheduling, including long wait times, difficulty in getting through, contractual violations, etc. We are filing Base Notice of Disputes “NOD’s” while working with the Co. on remedies to assist the FAs in the interim including additional training, staffing, and phone lines.
- Is it true that LAA can originate a trip if they are missing their ID but LUS cannot?
Yes. This is a strange one as it makes no sense. What I can tell you is it is being worked on to streamline the policy for all.
- Will LUS have Rotating Reserve before FOI?
Despite statements made depicting otherwise, NO. The majority of LUS FAs are in favor of waiting until the JCBA RR Language goes into effect. However, it is imperative we secure improvements for Reserves such as obtaining 12 Reserve Days Off “RDO” and System wide Base Transfers.
- Why do we continue to have a high number of Reserves?
Statistics show it is largely due to sick calls as the Company never counted on many more Flight Attendants using FMLA.
- With Flight Attendants being offered VLOA’s, will the Company expand the 3% Daily Limit to allow more flexibility?
Yes. Those unable to take the leave should not be burdened with base coverage.
Washington, D.C. Road Closures and Metro Update
Due to Friday’s Presidential Inauguration, additional travel time may be needed. Please see below for the most up to date road closures and Metro updates for this Friday’s inauguration. Also, the employee bus will operate at its peak schedule starting at 02:00 from January 21-23.
Metrorail Plans for Inauguration Day
Metrorail will open at 4 a.m. and close at midnight on January 20, 2017. However, the Archives, Mt. Vernon Square, Federal Triangle and the Smithsonian stations will be closed all day.
Metrobus will operate on a weekday rush hour service in the morning, followed by an early rush hour in the afternoon. With the anticipated street closures around the National Mall and Pennsylvania Avenue for the parade, all Metrobuses will be prepared for detours. Bus customers are encouraged to plan significant extra time to travel through these areas. No vehicular traffic, including buses, is expected to be able to pass close to the U.S. Capitol, nor will vehicles be able to cross Pennsylvania Avenue.
Commuter Rail Service
MARC train will run a limited Penn and Brunswick Line morning and afternoon schedule that day. Commuter Bus and the MARC Camden line will not operate. Advance tickets are required. Seats are limited and tickets will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. Penn Line service will depart from Baltimore’s Penn Station every 30 minutes from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and afternoon trains will depart from Washington’s Union Station from 1:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Brunswick Line service will depart from Martinsburg 7:25 a.m. and 8:25 a.m. and from Frederick 8:15 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. Afternoon trains will depart Washington for Martinsburg 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. and for Frederick 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Virginia Railway Express commuter train service has announced that they will not be operating on Inauguration Day.
Water Taxi from Alexandria
The Inaugural Water Taxi service will depart from the Alexandria City Marina (1 Cameron Street) from 6:30 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. on January 20 to Washington, DC (Southwest Waterfront, (Maine Ave SW and 7th St SW).
Road Access into Washington DC
Vehicle restricted zones will be in effect on January 19-21, 2017. Restrictions will be implemented on a rolling schedule, beginning at Pennsylvania Avenue NW from 2nd Street NW to 15th Street NW. All closures will be in place.
The following is a summary of routes and their status on Inauguration Day, January 20, 2017:
- 14th Street Bridge to 14th Street – All traffic will be diverted by MPD onto the Southeast/Southwest freeway beginning at 5:30 a.m.
- Roosevelt Bridge – Traffic coming across the Roosevelt Bridge will be diverted into northbound Potomac River Expressway to Pennsylvania Avenue or Whitehurst Freeway/K Street.
- Memorial Bridge – Restricted to pedestrians and authorized vehicles only
- Key Bridge – Open to all traffic
- Chain Bridge – Open to all traffic
- South Capitol Street Bridge – Open to all traffic
- Southeast/Southwest Freeway – Open to all traffic
- Rock Creek Parkway – Open to traffic (holiday traffic schedule in effect throughout the park)
- Clara Barton Parkway operating under holiday schedule (two-way traffic all day)
- 11th Street Bridges – Open to all traffic
- Sousa Bridge – Open to all traffic from east of the river to security checkpoint at Capitol Hill
- East Capitol Street – Open to all traffic. Roadways near RFK Stadium are primary routes for charter tour bus operators.
- Benning Road – Open to all traffic
- New York Avenue – Open to all traffic
- 3rd Street Tunnel – Closed to all vehicular traffic and pedestrian traffic
- Woodrow Wilson Bridge – Open to all traffic
Thank you for taking the time to read. If you have Co-Workers not receiving Hotlines and DCA Base Briefs, please let us know or sign-up via this link.
I would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate duly elected Base President John Pennel whose term begins April 1, 2017. Willingness to Serves for the DCA-US Vice President vacancy will be sent out again.
In the meantime, stay safe and keep speaking up.
In Strength and Solidarity.
APFA DCA-LUS Base President