Call to Action
The House is expected to vote on the FAA Reauthorization Bill of 2018, late Wednesday or Thursday, with the Senate expected to vote the following week. Please call your member of Congress today!
APFA was proud to support this important piece of legislation and now we need your help! Here is why:
- Directs FAA to set minimum pitch (leg room), width and length requirements for passenger seats on commercial flights. APFA has been in the lead on this issue for a number of years.
- Prohibits use of cell phones for in-flight calls on commercial aircraft. APFA again helped lead the charge regarding this issue.
- Addresses sexual misconduct in passenger aviation by establishing a national task force to review current practices, protocols, and requirements for air carriers’ responses to sexual misconduct allegations, and increases the civil penalty for interfering with cabin or flight crew.
- Requires FAA to review cabin evacuation assumptions to ensure everyone can safely evacuate an airliner in an emergency within the required timeframe. APFA helped raise the need for this study, particularly after the courageous actions of the crew of flight 383 at O’Hare International Airport.
- Extends training requirements related to recognizing signs of human trafficking.
- Improves rest and duty rules for Flight Attendants. APFA has supported this and lobbied for more required rest based on the science of fatigue. Air carriers will have to submit comprehensive fatigue plans to the FAA within 90 days of final passage.
- Starts to address cabin air quality by formalizing reporting requirements and by ordering a comprehensive study of the potential health effects on cabin and flight deck crews and passengers.
- Moves to define and harmonize the term “service animal” and develop and enact minimum standards of what is required for an animal to be carried in the cabin.
To reach your Members of Congress call 202-224-3121 and ask for the Member by name. When the individual office answers simply state:
“I am a constituent of [insert name] and a member of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants. I am calling to urge voting in support of the FAA bill. Thank you!”
APFA Interim National Government Affairs Representative
For issues with logging into your account please contact the Membership Department during regular business hours at (817) 540-0108 ext. 8153.
For important or time-sensitive issues regarding contract, scheduling, health, IOD, or other department-related questions please visit the department contact information page to contact the department you need. For immediate assistance please call APFA headquarters at (817) 540-0108
Visit the Contact Us page for general questions or media inquiries.