SBA Department Update
I would like to update you on some current issues that have impacted our members. These issues have been resolved or are pending resolution prior to APFA filing a grievance:
- Process to Reinstate FDs/GDs – Flight Attendants who are flown into his/her Flex Day or Golden Day past 0100, should call Crew Schedule to reinstate their day off, and should receive Pay No Credit, which is pay on top of their guarantee. The system was not programmed to provide the Pay No Credit after the reinstatement of the FD/GD. The company has agreed to fix this programming issue, but they do not have a definitive time frame for the fix. They have further stated it cannot be a manual fix. If you are on reserve and affected by this issue, please file a pay claim through Direct Connect and when they deny the claim, forward the denied claim to Cindi.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purser Move-Up – This Letter of Clarification provides a process to move-up the purser prior to report time.
- Hurricane Florence LOA – This Letter of Agreement provides relief for those harmed.
- Attendance & Performance Program – The company is only moving over the SICK Infractions and Levels of Performance. Prior to October 1st, 2018, no Missed Trips, Personal Days, Stuck Commuting, Late Reports, etc. should be on your attendance record. Please check your “MY VIEW-Attendance/ Performance” on the Flight Service website and contact your FSM if there are event/occurrences that should not be on your record. Please contact your Base Union Rep if you need further assistance.
- ROTA/ROTD Issues in MIA and LGA – we are close to an agreement to pay 5 hours to each reserve Flight Attendant affected by the ROTA Processing issue on August 30th ROTA run in MIA and LGA, and September 23rd ROTA run in MIA.
As we continue to experience more and more contract violations, glitches, programming issues, pay issues, etc, many have asked the status of the Presidential Grievances filed on ROTA/ROTD, TTS, ETB, and UBL. Additionally, with the company instituting their new Attendance and Performance Program October 1st, 2018, many of you have asked for a status update on this Presidential Grievance as well. It is important to note, the grievance process is not an expeditious process, but each step is necessary to ensure it works properly. I would like to summarize the process which can be found in Section 30. B.2. of the JCBA.
Presidential Grievance Process and Timeline
- The APFA files a Presidential Grievance on any action of the company, or any alleged misapplication or misinterpretation of the contract within 45 days of the actions.
- The company has 20 days to respond to these allegations with their decision.
- If the union disagrees with the company’s decision, the union has 20 days to appeal their decision.
- Within 45 days of APFA’s submission to System Board (or the appeal), a Headquarters Pre-Arbitration Conference will be held with both parties.
- If no resolution is reached, the company and union shall agree to the appointment of an Arbitrator and schedule a date for the arbitration.
As you can see, the process can be lengthy prior to setting an arbitration. We are moving through the process, and below is a summary of where we are in the process:
- Improper and Illegal Imposition of Flight Attendant Attendance and Performance Presidential Grievance – APFA filed the grievance on August 16th, 2018, the same day the company announced the new policy. The company responded to the grievance on September 13th, 2018. The APFA submitted the case to System Board, which was our appeal, on September 27, 2018. The Pre-Arbitration Conference is scheduled for November 12, 2018. The Arbitration is scheduled for February 26th & 27th, 2019.
- Implementation of ROTA/ROTD Presidential Grievance – APFA filed the grievance on August 21st, 2018. The company responded to the grievance on September 12th, 2018. The APFA submitted the case to System Board, which was our appeal, on September 27, 2018. The Pre-Arbitration Conference is scheduled for November 6, 2018. The Arbitrator appointment and arbitration hearing date is to be determined.
- Implementation of ETB/TTS/UBL Presidential Grievance – APFA filed the grievance on August 21st, 2018. The company responded to the grievance on September 13th, 2018. The APFA submitted the case to System Board, which was our appeal, on September 27, 2018. The Pre-Arbitration Conference is scheduled for November 6, 2018. The Arbitrator appointment and arbitration hearing date is to be determined.
Other Presidential Grievances scheduled prior to my taking office on July 2nd, 2018, are:
- Recognition & Scope Presidential Grievance – Arbitration was scheduled for November 13th & 14th, 2018, but unfortunately the arbitrator cancelled the dates. We are in the process of rescheduling this arbitration, and have scheduled mediation on December 12th, 2018, with Eva Durham, Mediator – National Mediation Board
- A-3 Deadheading Presidential Grievance – was scheduled for arbitration December 4th & 5th, 2018, and was recently postponed by the company. The Pre-Arbitration Conference is scheduled for November 12, 2018.
Each year APFA and AA meet in the fall to select our next year’s Panel of Arbitrators. We met this week to discuss appointments to the panel and will be finalizing the list soon.
APFA National Vice President