Wednesday, January 2, 2019
It’s a New Year – Resolve to Mobilize!
Calling ALL Activists! We Need YOU! Sign up to volunteer to be a Union Activist. We need you to help distribute information and materials for important issues and events during this round of bargaining! You will be the first to get inside info and facts to share on the line. Send your contact information including name, employee number, base, email, phone and snail mail address to: email@example.com
– Robin Charbonneau, APFA Communications Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
APFA Negotiates Supplemental Benefits for its Members and Retirees
APFA is excited to announce that we have recently negotiated a direct relationship with AFLAC for voluntary supplemental benefits to be offered to APFA Members beginning January 7, 2019. This voluntary supplemental benefit is not a replacement for the company’s health care.
Check your mailbox for a postcard highlighting some of the following benefits offered exclusively to APFA members and retirees:
- Short Term Disability (includes coverage during pregnancy when taken off by your physician; no requirement for exhausting sick time first; coverage to members who live in the state of California; and other benefits).
- Whole Life Insurance (with guarantee issue of $30,000 for all members without a statement of health requirement)
- Group Accident Insurance (with coverage for injury while on the aircraft)
- Critical Illness Insurance (immediate payout for insured)
- Hospital Indemnity
– Michael Tipton, APFA National Health Chair, email@example.com
SXM Hotel Review
Hats off to APFA Hotel Committee member, Al Munoz (center), DFW for his review of the SXM hotel.
– Julia Simpson, APFA National Hotel Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
IOD is NOT Chargeable
Absences coded as an IOD will not be chargeable and will not be counted in the Flight Attendant Attendance and Performance Program.
– Bellia Peckson, APFA National IOD Chair, email@example.com
Government Shutdown Continues
We are off to an unusual start of the 116th session of Congress as the Government remains shut down with no reopening in sight. We are closely tracking the implementation of the FAA Reauthorization Bill and its included provisions such as rest, seat size/pitch, evacuation safety, cabin air quality, emotional support animals and sexual assault in transportation, but with the government shut down the timeline on these items also gets pushed back. We will be working closely with Chairman DeFazio’s staff this session to ensure proper oversight.
What do you believe are the most pressing issues for Flight Attendants this year? We would love to hear from you on this!
– Allie Malis, APFA National Government Affairs Representative, firstname.lastname@example.org
Voluntary Leave of Absences (VLOA)
Bidding for VLOA’s will close on the 7th at noon DFW time. For PBS bases there will only be monthly VLOA’s offered. VLOA’s are offered first to lineholders (lineholder and tentatives in LRD) and then reserves. If you are a reserve in the LRD tool and hold a VLOA it will count as your reserve month for purposes of rotation. If you held a VLOA as a lineholder and bid onto reserve, it will not count towards your reserve rotation.
As a reminder there are changes to jury duty and compensation when bidding in PBS. If you have received notice of jury duty, submit the information to your FSM so that your jury duty days will be plotted prior to bidding. You will receive 4+15 for each day. (JCBA Sec. 3.G)
– Alin Boswell, Julie Hedrick, Linda Haertling, Vicki Balistreri, APFA Joint Scheduling Implementation Committee, email@example.com
Please continue to utilize the Uniform Reaction Report Form on the APFA website if you experience a suspected reaction to your uniform.
Currently, no scheduled events...