Monday, January 6, 2020
What You Need to Know About PLOAs & Personal Days
Navigating This Hotline
You may download this guide to your
personal device by following this link.
Personal Leaves (PLOA) (JCBA Section 25.A.)
- At any time, you may request a personal leave of absence for up to 180 days.
- Requests for personal leave and mutually agreed upon start and end dates shall be in writing. A PLOA request form is available on the APFA Website or the Flight Service website under the FA Service Center link.
- Once granted, a personal leave may only be canceled by mutual agreement between you and the company.
- If additional time is needed, you may request to extend up to 180 days at a time.
- You will continue to accrue occupational (bidding) seniority for the duration of your PLOA.
- You will continue to accrue longevity (vacation and pay step increases) for 30 days.
Personal Day (PO) (JCBA Section 25.L.2.)
- in the event of an emergency.
- A single personal day may be used for a sequence, reserve assignment, or reserve day.
- After you have exhausted your two contractually excused personal days, your FSM may grant you additional personal days, based on the circumstances, and may request documentation.
Pay Associated With Personal Days
Personal Days are unpaid and uncredited.
For each personal day on a reserve day of availability, your guarantee will be reduced by:
- 4:10 (30-day month) or
- 3:56 (31-day month)
For each personal day on an off day (FD/GD), your guarantee will not be reduced
Requesting Personal Days
You must contact Crew Schedule to request a personal day (PO) and you are not required to give the scheduler a reason for requesting. The decision to award the PO will be based on operational coverage. If awarded, you need to follow up with your FSM.
If Crew Schedule denies the PO, and you still need the day off because of an emergency, you may contact your FSM or a MOD at your base to request the Personal Day
How to Use a Personal Day
If you are removed with a PO for a sequence that operates on multiple days, you will only be charged with 1 Personal Day.
You have two excused personal days remaining and you are scheduled to work a 3-day sequence. You experience a personal emergency and now need to call out with a Personal Day for that sequence. You will now have one excused personal day left.
If you requested a personal day mid-sequence it will be considered a “Flight Attendant Initiated Split” (10.M.3). The remaining legs of the sequence will be removed with a PO and the Crew Tracker will place you on a deadhead back to base or your commuter city.
If you are removed from reserve day with a PO, you will still receive an award/assignment in ROTA for the next day, unless you have requested multiple personal days for multiple days.
You have two excused personal days remaining and ROTA assigned you a 3-day sequence. You experience a personal emergency and now need to call out with a Personal Day for that sequence. You will be removed from the sequence with a PO for the first day, your guarantee will be reduced for 1 day, and you will be made available for ROTA on days 2 and 3. You will now have one excused personal day left.
If you needed all 3 days off, you will be removed with a PO and your guarantee will be reduced for all 3 days. You will now have one excused personal day left.
APFA National Contract Chair