Monday, July 27, 2020
Special Base Transfer: Effective October 1, 2020
APFA and the Company have reached a Letter of Agreement for a one-time base transfer to allow Flight Attendants to take advantage of base openings created by the VEOP and EVLOA programs that would not otherwise be available.
By the first week of August, American will know how many Flight Attendants at each base have elected to take advantage of the VEOP and EVLOA programs and the resulting staffing needs for each base. By delaying the transfer bidding timeline, there will be more bases with vacancies for the award date of October 1, 2020. It is important to allow Flight Attendants to access the vacancies resulting from the VEOP and EVLOA awards to reduce the possibility of displacements further.
- Bidding for this one-time transfer opportunity opens August 7th and closes August 15th.
- Flight Attendants, including those on leave (maternity, medical, etc.), PVLOA, EVLOA, may participate in the vacancy transfer process.
- Flight Attendants who are leaving American under the VEOP program are not eligible to bid.
- Inactive Flight Attendants may only bid for a vacancy transfer.
- Flight Attendants subject to furlough on October 1st may also participate. Any Flight Attendants furloughed on October 1st may only bid for a vacancy transfer.
- Mutual Transferees must have aircraft qualifications at the time the transfer is awarded.
- Flight Attendants awarded a vacancy transfer effective October 1, 2020, will have until November 1st, 2020, to obtain any necessary aircraft qualifications.
- A Flight Attendant who is awarded a vacancy transfer effective October 1, 2020, and is furloughed, will not have to obtain necessary aircraft qualifications until recalled from furlough. This transfer will allow furloughed Flight Attendants the ability to change their base of record.
Special Options for Raleigh/Durham
and St. Louis-Based Flight Attendants
Due to the closing of Raleigh/ Durham and St. Louis effective with the February 2021 bid month, there are some unique transfer options for Flight Attendants based in these two crew bases.
- All active RDU and SLT based Flight Attendants may participate in the vacancy transfer bid.
- Inactive Flight Attendants may only participate in this special bid, which opens August 7th and closes August 15th.
- Unlike Flight Attendants at other crew bases, transfers awarded to RDU and SLT Flight Attendants will be effective with the February 2021 bid month.
- If you are based in RDU or SLT and do not bid for a transfer, or if you do not hold your desired transfer, all RDU Flight Attendants will be based in CLT effective with the February 2021 bid month, and all SLT Flight Attendants will be based in DFW, effective with the February 2021 bid month.
- After this one-time special transfer process closes, all RDU and SLT Flight Attendants will have a new base of record for the February 2021 bid month.
- All active RDU and SLT based Flight Attendants may continue to participate in regular future transfer bids if you want to change your February 2021 crew base.
- RDU and SLT Flight Attendants will have the opportunity to utilize the priority right of return language located in JCBA Section 22.H.
- RDU and SLT Flight Attendants will qualify for moving expenses as outlined in JCBA Section 5. If you’re based in RDU or SLT today, you may begin incurring moving expenses as early as October 2020 but will not be eligible for reimbursement until February 2021.
- Flight Attendants awarded a mutual transfer into RDU or SLT effective October 1, 2020, will not be eligible for moving expenses.