Saturday, March 6, 2021
April Unpaid VLOA Bidding Closes Tomorrow, March 7
Bidding for the April unpaid Voluntary Leave of Absence (VLOA) (JCBA Section 25.B.) closes tomorrow, March 7 at 1200 (CST).
You may access the ballot via Jetnet > Flight Service > Crew Resources > Manning > Voluntary Leave of Absence
The ballot offers the option to have a receipt emailed to you. We strongly suggest you select the email option. In addition, we recommend taking a screenshot of your final, confirmed election in the event there is a discrepancy.
- Unpaid VLOAs will be awarded first. 70-hour VLOAs will only be offered if an overage still exists after unpaid VLOAs are awarded. If you are awarded an unpaid VLOA for April, you will not be eligible for the 70-hour April VLOA.
- VLOAs are offered as needed in a crew base(s). VLOAs are awarded in base seniority order, first to lineholders and then to reserves.
- While on VLOA, you will continue to accrue sick and vacation.
- Your health, life, and other insurance as well as non-rev travel benefits will continue.
- If you are currently on a STLOA that is scheduled to end March 31 or if you are scheduled to return in April from recall, you are eligible to apply for the unpaid VLOA.
- Can I request a voluntary leave for a different span of days other than the full month option?No. Voluntary leaves are only available for a full bid month.
- Can I ballot for a VLOA if I have a carry-over trip into a VLOA month? Yes. If you work the carry-over trip, you will be paid for the hours.
- Is it mandatory to attend CQ Training during my VLOA?You may attend CQ Training in your base month while on the VLOA. However, you will be required to attend CQ Training in your grace month while on the VLOA.
- How will I be paid for the unpaid April VLOA?This VLOA is an unpaid leave of absence. (JCBA Section 25.B.)
- I have vacation in April. What happens to my vacation if I take the unpaid VLOA?You will be paid for your vacation days as normal if you are awarded an unpaid VLOA.
- Can I pick up trips for TTS/UBL/ETB while on the unpaid VLOA?No. Picking up trips while on a VLOA is not permitted.
- How many unpaid VLOAs does the Company plan on awarding at each base? The Company has not indicated how many unpaid VLOA’s are being offered in each base.
- Can I file for unemployment while on the unpaid VLOA?Yes, you can apply for unemployment benefits while on a VLOA. However, eligibility for these benefits varies state to state, so we can’t provide guidance on whether or not you will be approved. The Company will not contest claims for unemployment while on a VLOA
- If awarded an unpaid VLOA, will I receive reserve rotation credit?The company will create a pre-LRD list that will include projected lineholders, tentatives and reserves. If you are projected to be a reserve and you are awarded an unpaid VLOA, you will receive reserve rotation credit.Once the unpaid VLOAs are awarded, the Flight Attendants awarded unpaid VLOAs will be removed, and a new list will be created for LRD processing, including lineholders, tentatives (only if still needed) and reserves. Only if needed will the company award 70-hour VLOAs. If you are a projected reserve and awarded VLOA during the paid VLOA award processing, reserve rotation credit will apply.
APFA National Scheduling Chair
APFA National Contract Department
APFA JCBA Specialist