Thursday, April 15, 2021
As a result of a continuing rebound in travel demand, American has informed APFA of the need to increase staffing for scheduled summer flying. We are thankful that the final group of involuntarily furloughed Flight Attendants will be returning to flying for the May bid month. Still, American anticipates a need for 200 more Flight Attendants to return from an Extended Voluntary Leave of Absence (EVLOA), effective with the July bid month.
1. How will American decide which Flight Attendants currently participating in an EVLOA will return early?
The EVLOA Letter of Agreement outlines a procedure in the event American needs to return Flight Attendants early from an EVLOA. If the Company cancels or reduces any EVLOAs, Flight Attendant(s) on an EVLOA will be offered return to work dates in occupational seniority order and, if needed, drafted back to work in reverse occupational seniority order.
2. Flight Attendants are currently on EVLOAs with different end dates. Will all EVLOA participants be pooled together and offered a chance to return to work effective with the July 2021 bid month?
Yes. All EVLOA participants will be on one list and will be offered a return to work in occupational seniority order and, if needed, drafted back to work in reverse occupational seniority order.
3. I would like the opportunity to return early from my EVLOA. How do I let American know?
If you would like to be considered for an early return from your EVLOA effective with the July 2021 bid month, fill out the ballot located in the CCI communication from American or the letter that will be mailed to your address on file. If you wish to return early, you must submit the ballot request by noon CDT on Monday, April 26, 2021.
Are you having trouble accessing the ballot? You may troubleshoot the problem using the instructions on Jetnet here.
4. I do not want to return early from my EVLOA. What should I do?
You do not need to do anything.
5. American says they need 200 to return from EVLOA. What if only 100 volunteer to return?
If only 100 Flight Attendants volunteer to return early from their EVLOA, American will draft the additional 100 needed in reverse occupational seniority order.
6. When will I know if I will be returning early from EVLOA, either voluntarily or involuntarily?
If you are returning voluntarily, you will be notified via CCI.
If you are part of the the most junior 200 on EVLOA and are involuntarily returning, you will receive a phone call and a CCI message. If you are part of the most junior 200 on EVLOA and are not being drafted to return, you will be notified via CCI message.
7. If I return early from my EVLOA and I need to attend CQ, when will I attend?
If you volunteer or are assigned to return from your EVLOA effective with the July 2021 bid month, you will be assigned training in May.
8. Am I guaranteed a return to my crew base on record?
Yes. If needed, American will shift flying to address any potential staffing imbalance.
9. What happens if American is overstaffed in the fall?
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, staffing overages will be mitigated with monthly leaves of absence (VLOAs).
The past year has been challenging, and we welcome the increased job stability that accompanies the return of passenger demand. Thank you for your resilience and for taking care of each other as American continues to recover.
APFA National President
For issues with logging into your account please contact the Membership Department during regular business hours at (817) 540-0108 ext. 8153.
For important or time-sensitive issues regarding contract, scheduling, health, IOD, or other department-related questions please visit the department contact information page to contact the department you need. For immediate assistance please call APFA headquarters at (817) 540-0108
Visit the Contact Us page for general questions or media inquiries.