Wednesday, May 5, 2021
APFA Secures Letter of Agreement for Pre-Departure COVID Testing
For quite a while, we have known that specific destinations, including AMS, FRA, MXP, and SYD require a negative COVID-19 test before crew members and passengers enter the country. We have been pressing the Company for a process and how they were going to provide and compensate for this testing. APFA secured a Letter of Agreement (LOA) providing additional pay for destinations that require a pre-arrival COVID-19 test for Flight Attendants that receive test results prior to sequence report.
- A Flight Attendant who voluntarily completes a required COVID-19 test at the Company testing location in the applicable Company testing location and receives the results prior to report time will be paid an incentive of sixty (60) minutes (pay-no-credit) of flight pay.
- A Flight Attendant who reports for testing and receives results at or after report time will not be paid the incentive. However, if you arrive at the testing location at least 45 minutes prior to the sequence report time, you will be paid the incentive pay even if your results are not available until after the sequence report time. A standby Flight Attendant will not receive incentive pay in addition to standby duty pay and the Flight Attendant’s normal pay.
- A Flight Attendant who voluntarily completes a pre-departure COVID-19 test at the applicable Company testing location and receives the results prior to report time for a sequence to SYD will be paid an incentive of sixty (60) minutes (pay-no-credit) of flight pay for the pre-departure COVID-19 test. If you participate in COVID-19 testing upon arrival in SYD, the incentive pay does not apply.
- If additional destinations begin to require pre-arrival COVID-19 testing, incentive pay will apply.
You are not required to report earlier than the required JCBA report times. If you choose to be tested at sequence report time, you will not receive the incentive pay. If you choose to report to the testing center with less than 45 minutes to sequence report and do not receive the results before sequence report time, you will not receive the incentive pay. Arriving at the testing center 45+ minutes prior to report guarantees your incentive pay, even if you receive the results after sequence report time.
1. What destinations are currently included in this LOA?
Destinations currently include AMS, FRA (if applicable), MXP (if applicable), and SYD. In the event more destinations begin to require pre-arrival COVID-19 testing, this LOA will apply. More destination information may be found in Comply 365.
2. My report time for AMS is 5:50pm. When should I arrive at the testing center to ensure I receive my incentive pay?
To ensure that you receive the sixty (60) minutes of pay-no-credit flight pay, you should arrive at the testing center no later than 45 minutes prior to scheduled sequence report time (in this example, arrive at the testing center no later than 5:05pm). As long as you arrive at the testing center 45+ minutes prior to sequence report, you will receive the incentive pay, even if you do not receive the results until after your sequence report time.
3. My report time for AMS is 5:50pm. What if I arrive at the testing center at 5:30pm, and still receive my results before my sequence report time?
You will receive the sixty (60) minutes of pay-no-credit flight pay as long as your results are received prior to your sequence report time.
4. My report time for AMS is 5:50pm. What if I arrive at the testing center at 5:20pm, and I do not receive my test results until after my sequence report time?
You will not be eligible for the incentive pay.
5. Does this LOA force me to report early for one of these destinations that require pre-arrival testing?
No. Arriving early is voluntary. JCBA report times apply to all destinations.
6. I am flying to SYD. Once we arrive in SYD, we are required to complete a COVID-19 test. What if I choose not to take part in the voluntary pre-departure COVID-19 testing in LAX, and I wait until I arrive in SYD to be tested?
Incentive pay will not apply. To receive incentive pay for SYD, you must obtain a test prior to departure from LAX, and the results must be received prior to your sequence report time. As with questions 2 and 3 above, you should arrive at the Company provided testing center 45+ minutes prior to sequence report to guarantee incentive pay; however, as long as you receive your test results prior to sequence report, you will receive the incentive pay.
7. What if a destination is requiring a COVID-19 pre-arrival test, but they then decide that a full vaccination is sufficient for entry into the country?
If a vaccination becomes an acceptable method for entry to AMS, FRA, MXP, SYD, or other location(s) requiring pre-departure COVID-19 testing, or COVID-19 tests are no longer required, the incentive pay will not be applicable for the destination(s).
8. Are there costs associated with this testing?
Any costs associated with COVID-19 testing requirements will be covered by the Company, provided you are tested at the Company provided facility.
9. How do I find the testing center times and locations for my crew base?
All information may be found in Comply 365.
For issues with logging into your account please contact the Membership Department during regular business hours at (817) 540-0108 ext. 8153.
For important or time-sensitive issues regarding contract, scheduling, health, IOD, or other department-related questions please visit the department contact information page to contact the department you need. For immediate assistance please call APFA headquarters at (817) 540-0108
Visit the Contact Us page for general questions or media inquiries.