Saturday, December 4, 2021
January 2022 Allocations
When PBS processing begins, if additional Lineholders are needed, those with Reserve status will be changed to Lineholder status in the following order:
- Tentative Flight Attendants who were involuntarily moved to Reserve status.
- Reserve Flight Attendants who toggled to Pref LH in the LRD who were unable to hold Lineholder status in LRD.
- Most junior Reserve Flight Attendants involuntarily moved to Lineholder status after all the above have been utilized.
If you are in one of these 3 categories above, you will want to bid
7 layers of Reserve and 7 layers of Lineholder in PBS
- DCA: 31,730 flying hours (+1731 month-over-month)
- IAD: 1,562 (-433)
- BWI: 2,523 (+52)
- 35,815 Total Flying Hours (DCA, IAD, BWI) (+1350)
- Projected PBS line average is 82.4
- January DCA Flight Attendant Reserve Rotation starts at System Seniority 15,816 with an OCC date of January 14, 2013
- 10 new hires will be joining the DCA base in December that are not included in the above headcounts.
- Total December DCA New Hires for the month are 25 with a grand total for 2021 of 35 new hires.
January will see co-pairing of Flight Attendants and Pilots when flying through hub cities of
CLT, DFW, ORD and PHX between the hours of 10am and 8pm, to correct the misconnects and delays due to waiting on late arriving crew members. APFA welcomes co -pairings with our Pilots for safety and CRM concerns.
The holiday months are especially unique when bidding PBS since some bases will see half month logic used in the award solutions.
In months where flying is more concentrated at the beginning or the end of the month,
PBS may award heavier flying schedules to coincide with where the schedule demands the flying to be placed. January is a month where flying is especially concentrated at the beginning of the month. Sequences will be awarded/assigned over the period where more flying exists.
Please bid accordingly.
Coverage Needed (CN) days is a logic that is used when not enough Flight Attendants
bid to fly on certain days. PBS may start to force coverage because it cannot finish the award with the number of pairings that remain in open time thus causing CN days.
For further information on holiday bidding, please consult the link to the PBS Guide on the APFA website by clicking clicking here.
Final Notes for the DCA Base:
- 669 combined sequences (DCA, IAD, BWI)
- 210 total MAX sequences
- Slight increase in 1-day trips, slight decrease in 3-day trips, 2- and 4-day trips are the same month over month (we have asked for less 4-day trips and an increase in 2- & 3-days trips)
- One JAX ODAN operating only once ( ODANS are a regular ask of allocations but the system for various reasons is not creating them for DCA)
- NIPD RON’s: ANU, AUA, BDA, BGI, CUN, KIN, LIR, MEX, MTY, SAL, SDQ, STX
- 55% of all sequences report before 9am
- 45% of all sequences release after 8pm
- Shuttle sequences as of January maintain the cities of DCA, LGA and BOS but could change in future months as the shuttle brand will be retired.
- PHX 2-day “pinkeye” operating 29 days
- No red eyes
- Sequences still maintain longer sit times than we like, and this again has been addressed with the company in hopes of getting these reduced to decrease the on-duty hours.
JCBA Section 10 – Scheduling
Some of the biggest issues we have recently noticed are cancellations and adjustments to Flight Attendants’ sequences the day prior or the day of departure. In the event of a cancellation or reschedule, we want you to have a clear understanding of your responsibilities, as well as Crew Scheduling’s obligations. As a helpful tool, here is an APFA Contract & Scheduling link for “Rescheduling.”
During many IROP, month-to-month transitions, and crew shortage periods, Flight Attendants are experiencing an array of reschedules that impact their work and quality of life. Please be aware of what can and cannot be done as a result of the need to reschedule, per Crew Tracking.
Thank you for all you do, and we wish you and your family a very joyous and happy holiday season!
APFA DCA Base President
APFA DCA Base Vice President
APFA DCA Base Council Representative – Allocations