Tuesday, December 7, 2021
January 2022 Manning and Allocations Call
***Manning Information is Preliminary and Subject to Change***
- Active Headcount: 6,467
- Available Headcount: 5,932
- Bid Jobs/Line Holders:4,393
- Reserves: 1,539 (25.9%)
- System Reserve: 27.2%
- No Voluntary (unpaid) Leave of Absence (VLOA) will be available.
- Vacancy Transfers reporting on 01JAN: 76
- Expected Open Line Average: 82.8 hours
- Expected System Line Average: 82.0 hours
2021 New Hire Flight Attendants Classes
- Class 21-01: 95 Flight Attendants reporting on 23 NOV.
- Class 21-02: 87 Flight Attendants reporting on 30 NOV.
- Class 21-03: 101 Flight Attendants reporting on 07 DEC.
- Class 21-04: 93 Flight Attendants reporting on 14 DEC.
- Class 21-05: 88 Flight Attendants reporting on 21 DEC.
- Class 21-06: 89 Flight Attendants reporting on 28 DEC.
Specific base assignments can be found on Jetnet > Flight Service > Crew Resources > Planning > New Hire Base Assignments.
January Schedule Highlights
- Schedule Change: Tuesday, January 04
- New Year’s Day: Saturday, January 01
- Martin Luther King Day: Monday, January 17
- Holiday Peak Pay Premium/Critical Period: December 22 through January 02
- Reduced flying for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day
January has two schedule adjustments that may cause fluctuations in flying frequencies. The schedule change on January 04 and the Martin Luther King Holiday weekend will impact the operation with targeted bank cancellations.
The base requested increased turns, two-day pairings and fewer three and four-day trips for January. Turns increased 8% from December, but many have lengthy sit/ connect time. For January, we tracked aircraft routing on turns with excessive sit/ connect times at LGA and SFO. In all cases, the inbound aircraft is “turning” back to DFW. We questioned why Flight Attendants are having to get off the aircraft and sit unnecessarily? DFW has three LGA turns and two SFO turns operating throughout January with needless sit/connect time. We requested optimizer programming be reviewed and modified to restore our desirable, productive turns that have been a mainstay at DFW. The loss of productive/efficient pairings is a financial hardship and a quality of life issue for our workgroup.
Base leadership voiced concern about the loss of domestic and NIPD wide-body flying and long duty days with short layovers, especially pairings working four legs a day with short layovers. We requested an increase in two-day pairings and emphasized that Flight Attendants desire 3-1 (morning return) or 1-3 cadence for flexibility and “double-up” opportunities. Sit/connect times are still higher than usual, but have decreased slightly for January. Problematic pairings were identified and sent to the allocations department for review and modification.
The company’s transit initiative continues to expand. ORD will join DFW, CLT and PHX, with most crews co-paired when transiting through initiative hubs in January. The initiatives’s premise is to improve crew reliability and lessen operational complexities during irregular operations. Base leadership will continue to monitor the effects of co-pairing on trip construction and sit/connect times.
We are excited to welcome our new hire Flight Attendant brothers and sisters to DFW. We will receive 44 new hire Flight Attendants in 2021 and anticipate additional new hire Flight Attendants in 2022.
DFW was allocated 344,475 block hours for January, a decrease of 10,798 hours from December. AUS satellite base was given 1,499 hours, a decrease of 145 hours. STL was assigned 4,403 hours, an increase of 565 hours from December. American is flying 85.6% of its block hours compared to January 2020.
3FA and 4FA Percentage of Sequences
- 1-Day: 26.3%
- 2-Day: 31.9%
- 3-Day: 34.9%
- 4-Day: 7.0%
3FA and 4FA Overnight Rest Distribution
- Overnight Rest 10-10:30 hrs: 2.2%
- Overnight Rest 10:30-11hrs: 9.7%
- Overnight Rest 11-12 hrs: 15.2%
- Overnight Rest 12-14 hrs: 19.3%
- Overnight Rest 14-16 hrs: 19.4%
- Overnight Rest 16-24 hrs: 29.1%
- Overnight Rest 24-34 hrs: 4.9%
- Overnight Rest Greater than 34 hrs: 0.1%
3FA & 4FA Productivity
- Credit Hours per Calendar Day: 5:19 hrs
- Schedule Block Hours per Calendar Day: 4:54 hrs
- Credit Hours per Duty Period: 5.36 hrs
3FA & 4FA Sit-Time
- 2 Hours: 13.5%
- 2.5 Hours: 8.6%
- 3 Hours: 4.2%
3FA & 4FA Leg Distribution
- 1-Leg: 30.4%
- 2-Leg: 48.9%
- 3-Leg: 20.0%
- 4-Legs: 0.6%
3FA & 4FA Duty Distribution
Duty length is calculated including sign-in and release time.
- 3 to 4 hours of duty: 7.3%
- 4 to 5 hours of duty: 13.9%
- 5 to 6 hours of duty: 6.8%
- 6 to 7 hours of duty: 3.6%
- 7 to 8 hours of duty: 7.0%
- 8 to 9 hours of duty: 14.4%
- 9 to 10 hours of duty: 13.4%
- 10 to 11 hours of duty: 14.6%
- 11 to 12 hours of duty: 15.2%
- Greater than 12 hours: 2.2%
3FA & 4FA Block Distribution
- 3 hours or less: 14.9%
- 3 to 4 hours: 14.0%
- 4 to 5 hours: 13.6%
- 5 to 6 hours: 18.1%
- 6 to 7 hours: 19.1%
- 7 to 8 hours: 14.8%
- 8 to 9 hours: 5.2%
- Nine hours or greater: 0.2%
DFW Combined Operation Percentage of Sequences
All equipment all positions.
- 1-Day: 22.9%
- 2-Day: 26.9%
- 3-Day: 41.6%
- 4-Day: 7.3%
- 5-Day: 1.0%
- 6-Day: 0.3%
Designated email for Allocations and Manning questions and concerns:
Be careful and fly safe!
Amber De Roxtra
APFA DFW Base President
Amy Knox Green
APFA DFW Base Vice President