Survey opens: November 10, 2021
Survey closes: December 17, 2021 at 1700 CT
Thank you for participating in the 2021 APFA Negotiations Survey. While we have asked you to participate in earlier surveys since our contract became amendable in December of 2019, so much has changed that we felt it was important to reach out to you again.
It is hard to believe it has been almost two years since the COVID-19 pandemic altered our careers. The changes and disruptions to work-life that Flight Attendants have endured over the past two years have been far too frequent and have further highlighted areas for improvement in our current contract.
- We have seen sequence construction changes to increase productivity and reduce Flight Attendant headcount.
- Reserve numbers climbing up the seniority list; and
- Hotel and transportation issues, illustrating the need for clear language to protect Flight Attendants and hold management accountable.
Several challenges presented themselves throughout various stages of the pandemic:
- Early on, we faced exposure to this airborne virus without proper personal protective equipment. Unions across the industry pushed for mask requirements, enhanced cleaning, contact tracing, and other protections to keep us safer on the job.
- We have had Flight Attendants subject to involuntary furlough. We spent months working with our elected representatives to ensure the Payroll Support Program extensions to keep all members paid and connected to their healthcare.
- We have Flight Attendants who suffered displacement from their crew base, forcing them to commute and adjust to life in a new base.
- We have seen an increase in Flight Attendant verbal and physical assaults simply for carrying out our job functions, and these assaults are happening with a frequency never seen in our industry.
We have been through tremendous upheaval over the past two years, and we deserve tangible improvements in a new contract that addresses the contributions and sacrifices we have made to keep American flying through the darkest days of the pandemic.
Your Negotiating Committee has received a tremendous amount of your feedback from listening tours, surveys, and emails, and this information is logged and tracked for discussion by the Committee. This survey offers another opportunity to update your priorities in a new contract and ensures that we are accurately representing your interests and expectations at the bargaining table.
Thank you for your feedback!
NOTE: Due to compatibility issues with the survey please use a laptop, desktop, or mobile device to take the survey (do not use an iPad)