Monday, September 7, 2020
October VLOA Bidding & October LRD Open Tomorrow
Bidding for the October unpaid Voluntary Leave of Absence (VLOA) (JCBA Section 25.B.) opens tomorrow, Tuesday, September 8th at 1200 (CDT). You may access the ballot via Jetnet > Flight Service > VLOA Ballot.
The Lineholder/Reserve Designator (LRD) to preference either Lineholder or “Senior Bumping” onto Reserve opens tomorrow, Tuesday, September 8th at 1200 (CDT). If you believe your status is not correct, please contact the FABRC at 888-376-5375.
When you log onto the Crew Portal, you will see the LRD in the bottom right hand corner of the page. You will either be in Lineholder, Tentative or Reserve status in LRD. The LRD will also show your seniority for the group you are associated with.
- Lineholder Status
If your status indicates you’re a Lineholder (L/H) then you’ll be considered as a Lineholder when VLOAs are processed (regardless if you toggle to RSV).
- Tentative Status
If your status indicates Tentative, the default designation in LRD is L/H, which means you’ll be considered as a Lineholder for the VLOA Bidding process.
- Reserve Status
If your status indicates you’re Reserve (RSV) then you’ll be considered as a Reserve when VLOAs are processed (regardless if you toggle to L/H).
It is important to remember, if you are satisfied with your designated status shown when LRD opens, it is not necessary to use the toggle on the LRD Tool. If you would like to be on Reserve (Senior Bump) you would toggle over to Reserve. Keep in mind that if you have more than three (3) days of vacation and Senior Bump onto Reserve, it will not count towards your Reserve obligation. This LRD Tool PowerPoint Presentation will provide you with more information and examples regarding the LRD tool.
VLOA Award Process:
- FIRST… to Lineholders in seniority order until all available leaves are granted, or until there are no more requests. If there are still leaves available after all Lineholders requests have been granted, then…
- SECOND… to Reserves in seniority order until all remaining leaves have been granted or until there are no more requests.If you are awarded a VLOA as a Lineholder or Tentative and have toggled to Reserve, you will be considered a Lineholder and will not receive Reserve credit. Because VLOAs are awarded to Lineholders first, before Reserves, a junior Lineholder could be awarded a VLOA before a senior Reserve Flight Attendant.
- If you are on an absence ending on or after the 1st contractual day of the voluntary leave request month, or have expired qualifications, you are not eligible for a VLOA.
- You must be eligible to hold a bid award for that month. (Absences ending in the month prior to the voluntary leave request month are eligible).
- While on VLOA, you will continue to accrue sick and vacation.
- Your health, life and other insurance as well as non-rev travel benefits continue as though you are active.
- If your October status in the LRD is Reserve and you are awarded a VLOA, it willcount towards fulfilling your Reserve obligation.
- Can I request a voluntary leave for a different span of days other than the full month option?No. Voluntary leaves are only available for a full bid month.
- Can I ballot for a VLOA if I have a carry-over trip into a VLOA month?If you have a carry-over trip into a month that you have been awarded a VLOA, you must work that carry-over trip to receive the pay for the hours. If you drop the carry-over trip after the VLOA has been awarded, you should notify the base planners at FA.Planner@aa.com so that the planner can adjust your VLOA to begin on the 1st of the bid month.
- Is it mandatory to attend CQ Training during my VLOA?At your option, you may attend CQ Training in your base month while on the VLOA. However, you will be required to attend CQ Training in your grace month while on the VLOA.
- How will I be paid for the October VLOA? The October VLOA is an unpaid leave of absence. (JCBA Section 25.B.)
- I have vacation in October. What happens to my vacation if I take the unpaid VLOA? Your October vacation days will be paid out.
- Can I pick up trips for TTS/UBL/ETB while on the unpaid VLOA?No. Picking up trips while on a VLOA is not permitted.
- Can I file for unemployment while on the unpaid VLOA?This is a voluntary leave and you will remain on active status. Therefore, the Company will contest unemployment claims.
APFA National Contract Chair
APFA National Scheduling Chair