Friday, April 8, 2022
Keeping Safe on Layovers
There has been an uptick in security incidents involving crew members on layovers, specifically international layovers. Here are some best practices to help keep you safe while on a layover:
- Use local resources. Ask hotel personnel about safe neighborhoods for you to explore while on a layover.
- Try to avoid consuming mixed drinks. Opt for beverages in a closed can or bottle. Never take a drink from someone you don’t know.
- Accessories such as watches and jewelry might draw unwanted attention. High-cost PEDs should be kept out of sight as well.
- Consider going out with someone or keeping your fellow Flight Attendants aware of your plans should you need assistance.
- Keep your hotel key card in a secure location, and refrain from telling strangers the hotel name or your room number.
- Practice situational awareness. Try to avoid texting or talking on the phone while walking. Check your surroundings for suspicious activity before taking pictures.
APFA National Safety & Security Chair